top of page

Training American Truckers since 1963

  • Duke The CDL eXpert

What is Entry Level Driver Training

In February 2022, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) installed the Entry Level Driver Training requirement (ELDT). This rule sets the baseline for training requirements in critical areas like vehicle operation, safety practices, and compliance with federal regulations.

This requirement applies to anyone seeking to obtain a Class A or Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) for the first time and to anyone seeking certain passenger and hazardous material endorsements.

What does this mean for you?

This means you need to get training from a provider registered with the FMCSA before applying for a CDL.

How do you find a certified ELDT provider?

To find a provider, go to the FMCSA Training Provider Registry (TPR) here and search for providers around you.

Verify that the provider you choose offers the specific training you require (Class A/B CDL, endorsements, etc.).

What is the ELDT course composed of?

The ELDT comprises 2 sections: the knowledge test and the Practical part.

The Knowledge Test (Classroom Instruction) consists of:

  • Basic Operation: Vehicle controls, communication, shifting techniques, and pre-trip inspections.

  • Safe Operating Practices: Handling different road and weather conditions, defensive driving, and dealing with adverse situations.

  • Advanced Operation: Hours of Service regulations, trip planning, and hazard awareness.

  • Vehicle Maintenance: Preventive maintenance, vehicle inspection, and reporting.

The Practical, also known as Behind-the-Wheel Training (BTW):

  • This needs to be done in person. You will need to find a local training provider near you.

  • Driving on public roads under the supervision of a certified instructor.

  • Maneuvering skills practice in controlled environments like parking, reversing, and docking.

You may also get any endorsements you need:

  • H—Hazardous Materials: This endorsement allows you to transport hazardous materials, such as flammable or combustible liquids, gases, or explosives.

  • NTanker: This endorsement allows you to haul liquid and gas bulk loads.

  • P - Passenger: This endorsement allows you to operate a vehicle transporting passengers.

  • S—School Bus: This endorsement allows you to operate a school bus.

  • T—Double/Triple Trailer: This endorsement allows you to operate towing two (double) or three (triple) trailers over a specified weight

  • X: Combines the N and H endorsements for a single endorsement, allowing the operation of tank vehicles transporting liquid or gaseous hazardous material.

13 views0 comments


bottom of page